If you've never heard of this Blue Zone Solution book it's a very cool concept and it's on my list of books to read. In it the author looks at what he calls the "Blue Zones" around the world...or the geographic areas that have the highest concentration of 100 year olds and exceptionally low rates of common health problems.
I'm not sure I'm completely onboard with what is being called the "Blue Zone Diet", but I do like the quick summary of the lifestyle lessons.
Blue Zones lifestyle lessons to maximize happiness, health, and longevity:
- Move daily (e.g. walking or other moderate-intensity activity).
- Socialize more. Research shows that the happiest people socialize at least 8 hours per day, especially with parents and family.
- Know what gets you up in the morning. Knowing your sense of purpose, or reason for living, has been shown to add up to 7 years of life expectancy.
- Have faith. Attending faith-based services (it doesn’t matter what faith) 4 times per month has been shown to add 4–14 years to your life.
- Committing to a life partner can add up to 3 years of life expectancy.
- Aim to sleep 8 hours per night for maximum health and longevity.
- Have sex. 80% of people in Ikaria ages 65–100 are still having sex, and sex has been shown to enhance longevity.
In summary, as noted in the book, “Eat well, stress less, move more, and love more.”
A little more of each of these items could do us all some good.